Monday, November 17, 2008

Is It Doing A Favor If...

You see my sister asked me if I could watch her kids for a couple hours this morning. I was more than happy to help out, and was feeling so good about myself the whole way there. This is my inner dialog, "I am getting out of my pjs first thing in the morning and helping out my sister , that I totally love, and I am feeling so good about myself right now. Etc." I went on like this the entire 35 minute drive to her house. I kind of laze about her house and she returns earlier than I had expected so i didn't really have a chance to clean up the lunch mess or get her kids ready for school, but no big deal because I am doing her a favor, right? Then she breaks out the free stuff. Cheese, milk, more cheese, cereal, and peanut butter. A thank you for helping her out. She was insistent, and i was out of milk so I took it. Then she breaks out all her clip making stuff and makes my kids a dozen or so super cute bows. This is too much. I offer to pay for the supplies, but she refuses with a rather stern look. So I make up some crap about my cell phone I left on the table and rush to drop off a couple of dollars right before I head out. Busted! She must have sensed something. I guess I am wondering if I get to keep my good feelings even though I was more than compensated for my time. I didn't think so. You win this time Julie.

8 comments:

ManicMandee said...

what a nice sister she is! I mean you are!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Sorry, all good feelings/inner dialog are now void. Especially if a hot glue gun was involved in making the clippy things. Hot glue can really do a number on your fingers... just ask HotPants.

Hot Pants said...

Julie is just trying to win back her title as Violet's favorite aunt. Violet, don't listen to her!!! Remember, I totally picked you up and gave you a hug before I sent you upstairs to play with the kids the other night?

I always ruin my good deeds by complaining about whatever I volunteered to do. So your great amount of compensation was your "blessing" you received for your good works and service.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Is ^^^ running for RS pres or something?

Emily said...

I think you are even!

E said...

She gave you milk and cheese? Julie sounds a lot like you.

Julie said...

Katie thanks for coming and helping me. I think you won, I found some money I think is from you.

Anna B said...

It sounds like you guys were following the "Golden Rule". Nice Sisters!