Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Childhood Experience

Since I didn't have anything to write about, I thought I would let you all know a funny little story from my childhood. For those of you who don't know, which is probably no one, I am number 11 of 13 kids. Ok, so one time we were over at my Aunt Irene's house for who knows what. She has 11 kids, i think, so a ton of kids, anyway. I had wandered out to the front yard. I remember playing on her cool green steps. The neighbor, who didn't recognize who I was, and thought it was strange that a 2 year old was out playing near the road, called the police. They came by and picked me up. I cried a little, at first. They gave me a piece of candy. I cried a lot more after that. You see, I clearly remember thinking that if I cry, they give me candy. I wasn't scared, but it seemed like I was at the police station for a long time. Meanwhile, back at the house, my mom had come to look for me. I was potty training, and she thought I might need to go. After exhausting all the usual hiding places and games, she went outside, to the front yard, and she was met by a police man who asked all judgingly, "Are you looking for something?" So things turned out ok. I wish i had my scanner working, but I will post the topless picture, since it is the only one I have of me when i was little.

10 comments:

E said...

So that was the first time you were arrested? Hilarious. I bet as number 11, you had lots of freedom to go and do whatever you wanted, so long as you remembered to use the potty.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

That's not topless... that is "Babies Gone Wild!"

First of all, that police officer is a jagbag for approaching your mom like that. I imagine he had a little moustache & was chewing gum.

Secondly, that was like, hours of free babysitting for your mom.

Memzy said...

I'd like to hear your mom's version too. Was she mortified? That is srsly heelarious.

Anonymous said...

One time I lost Maddie and looked Frantically for her. Even called my sis Amy who lived next door thinking she was over there or I had brought her over there. (it was day 3 of working 12 hr nights and staying up all day with a baby). Well Amy came right over to help me look for her only to discover I had been holding her the whole time...CREEPY!

Katie you havent changed a bit since that photo was taken.

ManicMandee said...

I've had experiences similar to your mom. I neglect my kids too often and have had the police involved before.

Hot Pants said...

I think knowing where 12 of your 13 kids are, is pretty good odds.

Emily said...

How funny!
When I was around 7 or 8, I ran away from home and was gone an entire day. I got bored hiding out in the bluffs and decided I would just go home. Guess what? Nobody even noticed I had left!!! Beat that!

Markie23 said...

A little young to be prepping for Mardi Gras there. You must have an enormous collection of bead necklaces.

Anna B said...

Is there a problem if you can't keep track of 5 kids vs. 13? Go figure!

Emily said...

I would just like to call a bluff on your story.... If you were only two, mom only had 12 kids at the time. Mom was probably just pregnant with me. I also have good memories of those green steps. That and the fake grass at Grandma Rydalch's house.