Monday, February 2, 2009

When Did Things Change?

This morning, I sent the kids out the door to the bus stop. I usually watch to make sure they get on the bus without any problems, but this morning I was busy taking care of the little kids. I have been stressing all morning about kidnappings, and run over accidents, etc.

I remember being ready for church about an hour before it was supposed to start. I was complaining about there being nothing to do, you know, the regular kids stuff. My mom suggested I walk the six miles to the church building to kill some time. I did too, my parents picked me up toward the end, but I walked close to 4 miles with just my (one year older than me) sister, or maybe my little brother (can't remember who I was with, but I know for sure I was there.) I was probably only about 8 years old. I felt very capable of such a task. So, I guess I am asking, am I suffocating my kids? Do I need to give them more freedom? Or is it normal to think they have been kidnapped because you didn't see them actually get on the bus?

In my defense, I think my kids are so much more kidnappable than I was.

8 comments:

ManicMandee said...

I think it's totally normal. Go ahead and call the school and really nonchalantly say "Hey are my kids alive?" No big deal.

Anna B said...

That feeling should totally go away by the 3rd or 4th time you let your capable kids go get on the bus by themselves. At least that's how it worked for me. I'm just saying...

Amanda said...

The world is a way scarier place now than it used to be. I wouldn't let my kids walk far alone, either.

Hot Pants said...

I've always been paranoid, even when I was a kid. But, I'm a Morgan.

Memzy said...

My paranoia comes and goes depending on my mood. I let my kids walk home from school (a few blocks) but it took MANY times of me following them in the car or pacing back and forth in the front yard until I realized they were gonna live and stuff.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I never even think about it once I shut the front door. Like I'm gonna get all dressed or stand out on the freezing front porch to watch. No, I figure if they don't show up at school, they'll call me. So yes, you're smothering them.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E said...

Get them cell phones, duh. Better yet, iPhones.